How to adopt internationally? What is the process for international adoption? How long does it take to adopt from abroad? How much do international adoptions cost? How to find an ethical international adoption agency? In this course, we interview Rebecca Leaming, MSW, LCSW, and international adoption professional for over 20 years.
This course covers the following topics:
- Outline of the typical international adoption process.
- What type of kids are available for international adoption?
- What is the youngest child available?
- Is it possible to get a young healthy child?
- How many kids are available?
- International adoption regulations.
- How much paperwork is involved in international adoption?
- Why is the US government involved in saying who can adopt and what children can be adopted?
- Do adoption agencies have different or more stringent requirements than the foreign or US government?
- What are some of the country-specific requirements for adoptive parents?
- What are the health risks for children adopted internationally? Many international adoption programs are considered special need programs, meaning that the kids may have special needs, however, the type of special needs varies considerably.
- What are some typical health issues children might have?
- What type of special needs do children have?
- What type of care do children have before adoption? Institutional vs foster care.
- How to adopt a child on a waiting child website?
- How much information will you have on the health of the child when you receive a referral?
- How to decide on what country to adopt from? Will the country accept you? Does the country place children that you think your family is a good fit for?
- Who can adopt internationally?
- Example of certain country requirements.
- Countries closing down. How big of a risk?
- What to look for in an international adoption agency?
- After choosing an agency, what is the process for adopting internationally?
- How much does international adoption cost?
- Are grants available?
- What is the Adoption Tax Credit and does it help defray the cost of international adoption?
- How long does it take to adopt internationally?
- Is it possible for single women, gays, lesbians, or other members of the LGBTQ community to adopt internationally?
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.
Hague Treaty on Intercountry Adoption*
* Important Information for agencies on Hague Training Requirements.
Illinois Licensing Standard §401.520
*Important Information for agencies on Illinois Adoption Requirements.
Nebraska Licensing Requirement
*Important Information for agencies on Nebraska Adoption Requirements.