How can we help our foster or adopted children heal from past trauma or loss? In this course, we interview Carol Lozier, a licensed clinical social worker with over thirty years of experience counseling children, teens and adults in the issues of trauma, adoption, and foster care. Ms. Lozier has published four books, including The Adoptive & Foster Parent Guide.
This course covers the following topics:
- What is trauma?
- What type of events/things create trauma?
- Why are trauma, abuse, and neglect so harmful to children?
- How trauma impacts children?
- How to tell the difference between typical developmental behavior and behavior that is the result of trauma or loss?
- How to determine if a behavior is “big” enough to warrant intervention by the parent?
- What is triangulation?
- Does triangulation always present as a preference for one parent over another parent?
- What are triangulation behaviors?
- What are the different “corners” of the triangle?
- How to break the triangle?
- Helping our kids integrate their birth, adoptive or foster, and self identities. Many children who do not live with their birth families struggle to incorporate parts of their birth families, foster or adoptive family, and who they innately are into a whole that is their identity. What can parents do to help their children form a healthy complete identity?
- Practical tips for helping children heal. Often we do not know exactly what trauma our children have experienced. Either they don’t remember, or it happened before they were verbal, or they cannot or have not told us. How can we help them if we do not know what happened to them?
- How to use behavioral charts effectively.
*This course includes a 1-hour conversational audio lesson, a 10-question quiz, and a certificate of completion with the successful completion of the quiz at 80%.
Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.
Hague Treaty on Intercountry Adoption*
*Important Information for agencies on Hague Training Requirements
*Important Information for agencies on Virginia core competencies.
Illinois Licensing Standard §401.520
*Important Information for agencies on Illinois Adoption Requirements.
Nebraska Licensing Requirement 005.16(D)(iii
*Important Information for agencies on Nebraska Adoption Requirements.
Practical Tips for Disciplining Children Who Have Experienced TraumaCourse4.8 average rating (4 reviews)
How a Parent's History with Attachment and Trauma Impacts Adoption and FosteringCourse
Trauma-Informed Parenting: Practical Applications of TBRI®Course5.0 average rating (4 reviews)